I love to bake with my older son, Joshua. Last winter, when there was a newborn in the house and the weather was too cold to go out, Joshua and I would spend some quality time with each other and bake.
I loved scouring the Internet for recipes, but it came to the point where I didn’t know what I wanted to bake anymore. We would mix together random ingredients and hope for the best (although any goodness that came out of the oven was mostly an added bonus).
At some point after that, I decided to make my own recipes, trying my best to put in healthy ingredients wherever I could. These muffins are one of those recipes. I love how painfully simple they are to make and they are perfect for grabbing on busy mornings! Here’s what I used:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 c quick oats
- 1/4 c Trader Joe’s Super Seed and Ancient Grain Blend
- 1/4 c flax seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Cinnamon (for sprinkling, or 1/2 tsp to mix in batter
2. Add in oats, seeds, baking powder, salt, and (optional) cinnamon. Mix until everything sufficiently sticks together, but not so that it’s too firm. Honestly, this recipe is so easy, a 3-year-old could do it! 😉 I love using a small rubber spatula to blend all the ingredients.
4. Bake in preheated oven at 350° F for 18-22 minutes, or until the top starts to get a little golden and a toothpick comes out clean from the center.Enjoy the muffins! I think a fair serving size is 2 of these guys. Store in a sealed container to be enjoyed in a few days or freeze for later.